June 09, 2008

Clafouti To You Too!


Okay, I have a friend who loves clafouti, so I thought of her when I ran across this recipe. Despite it's name (which sounds vaguely like a disease to me) it's a French dessert with fruit and batter. Some have described the batter as a cross between a flan and pancake. Traditionally it's made with cherries but I saw this version with fresh apricots and had to try it. (I'll admit it, I figured pitting apricots was easier than pitting cherries). I liked it, but the apricots were a bit tart, I would have added some sugar to them while they were macerating in the Amaretto if I had known. I will definitely make clafouti again, I'm thinking next time with berries and Grand Marnier or if I can find them, Italian plums. Try making clafouti yourself, it's really easy and looks so pretty. It's a great way to make a fruit dessert in no time at all.


APRICOT ALMOND CLAFOUTI

1 pound fresh apricots (about 8 medium), pitted and cut into wedges
1/4 cup almond liqueur, such as Amaretto (or you can uses orange juice)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 cup low-fat milk
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

1. Combine apricots and almond liqueur (or orange juice) in a large bowl. Stir 2 teaspoons of the juice into the apricots. Let stand for at least 1 hour. (This is where I would have added some sugar since my apricots were a bit on the tart side.)
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch round baking dish, such as a ceramic quiche dish, or oval casserole, with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over the bottom. Drain the apricots (reserving syrup) and arrange in the baking dish.
3. Combine eggs, egg white and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale yellow (This takes a while, like 5 minutes). Add milk, flour, almond extract, salt and the reserved syrup; beat well to blend. Pour the batter over the apricots; sprinkle with almonds.
4. Bake the clafouti until puffed and golden, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.

0 comments: