June 11, 2008

Breakfast for Dinner (Sort Of)

Last night we had bacon and eggs for dinner. Just not the way you probably think.

My newest favorite thing is the BLT salad. Iceberg lettuce (I know, not the healthiest of lettuces but it's so nicely cool and crisp in this particular salad), tons of fresh tomatoes from my garden, (no salmonella scare here) and crisply fried bacon pieces (I cut them large since they are part of the flavor of this salad) along with fresh ciabatta croutons and just a touch of ranch dressing. This salad is light, flavorful and oh, so delicious.

It's a great salad, but not exactly a full meal so I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner to go with it when I decided to pair it with deviled eggs (such a yummy favorite) and some cheese puffs. No, not Cheetos, a delicious little warm biscuit made with lots of sharp cheddar cheese. I was actually going to make some mini potato pancakes (to continue the breakfast for dinner idea) but my mom wanted cheese puffs.

The recipe for the cheese puffs came from a Peanuts cookbook I bought when I was in the second or third grade. My mom still has the little book which is full of easy little recipes named for Charles Shultze's characters and little cartoons. I'm not sure what the book calls this recipe, but we always call them Charlie Brown Cheese Puffs. I have made these since I was a kid and they are so yummy! I have made them for parties and they always get RAVE reviews. They are best eaten warm.

Charlie Brown Cheese Puffs

1 heaping cup grated cheese (I love sharp cheddar but you can use swiss or pepper jack too)
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 c. flour
water

Mix cheese, butter and flour together with just enough water to make a dough (I mix the ingredients by hand and add water after they are pretty well incorporated, You'll only need about a teaspoon of water to make the dough come together).
Roll into balls (this makes about a dozen) and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until puffs are golden brown. Serve warm.

You can add seasonings, wrap the dough around olives or fancy them up however you want, but the plain recipe has never failed for me. I have had people stand by my oven, waiting for the next batch to come out. Of course the recipe can be doubled or tripled and these are a great cocktail party snack.

I finished off our 'breakfast for dinner' theme with Rice Krispies treats for dessert. I think it was one of my mom's favorite meals because she likes everything so much. And it was fun for me to think outside the box, then outside the box again.

0 comments: