June 09, 2008

Adventures in Cupcake Land

Okay, so a while back I threw down on The Cupcakery and Retro Bakery, saying I could make a better cupcake at a better price. Well, I've been baking cupcakes whenever I can and having them taste tested by friends and family. So far the results have been fantastic. The cupcakes have gotten rave reviews. And I can tell you that I could easily sell them for $1.50 per cupcake and still make a profit, and that's with being a home cook and buying ingredients at retail. So pfffft to the upscale cupcake bakeries, I AM the cupcake cutie!


These I call Banana Covered Chocolate Cupcakes. They are a rich chocolate cupcake with fresh banana (yes, fresh) buttercream accented with dark chocolate ganache. The only criticism they got was that my brother wanted some chocolate chips in the cupcake. I can't argue with that, more chocolate is always better!


These I call Great Scots. They are a butterscotch cupcake with a brown sugar buttercream crowned with butterscotch ganache. I loved them but I made such a rookie mistake, I added butterscotch chips to the batter but forgot to flour them first so they all sunk to the bottom. Some people liked the chips at the bottom but honestly, it wasn't right and I can't believe I did it, I know better. But the cupcakes had great flavor and I could eat a vat of brown sugar buttercream. It was so good. It was a little grainy but that was actually part of the appeal for me.


And these are Lemon Drop Kids (I love Bob Hope movies!) A lemon cupcake with lemon buttercream and garnished with crushed lemon drop candies. If it sounds too lemony, it wasn't. The cupcakes were so super moist and light (my brother raved about the texture, and he's one of my toughest critics) with a lemon kissed frosting and the candy adding a sweet/tart/crunchy note. The only issue was that after a few days the lemon drops weren't crunchy any longer, they got soft and kind of gummy. So you have to eat these within a day or so, not like that's a big problem.

I'll be making more cupcakes this week. I'm working on a fruit cheesecake cupcake but I don't know if that will be this week's flavor or not. Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Jonathon Bryant said...

So i didnt know you had a food blog too. I'm such a freaking idiot!!! You like to cook then huh, well I may not like to cook but I love to eat. These cupcakes look pretty good, but they cant be as good as the ones I had today. I wanta make some cupcakes though, or atleast attempt!!! It would be so cool to take them into work and say I home made them. Any recipies or tips for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot Shae -JON